Thursday, April 20, 2006

Front Triangle


it's 12:40 am and I'm done for the day. 16 hours and 10 minutes of work time. I got to the shop early to get a running start. And it was a good thing as I needed all day to get the front triangle brazed. I had to separate my brazed in seat tube fron the BB and start that step all over. After I got that done it was mostly smooth sailing. I feel like today I really got to the point where I really understand brazing and heat control. I can move the heat were I want it, push and pull silver up and over a lug edge, and flow silver where it needs to go. I'm sure someone who has been brazing 30 years doesn't think twice about that, but it feels good to have control over the process instead of the other way around. I'll be doing chain stays and hopefully seat stays tomorrow. I should say a few words about Doug Fattic. He IS A TASK MASTER. I don't know how many times he's come over and shown me a more right way to do something. It doesn't seem to matter if I'm doing something 100 times better than the last time I did it, he still pushes us to refine our technique. Tonight as I walked out the door he said "good work today". That was nice. Today I felt like a frame builder. JG

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home