Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Results at last


when I left the shop at 12:30am I had a front traingle mitred. YEEEEHAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was another 15+ hour day. we even ate lunch in the shop today. I also had a major setback. My fork blades are not pointing staight. I purchased a columbus SL tube kit with pre raked blades. I cut the fork blades down to fit a 26" wheel and we brazed the tang pieces( suit of cards) from the richieissimo crown to the blades. I think sachs does the crown and tang pieces all at one time but Doug thought it better for a rookie to do it the other way. Oh well, once I fitted it all together it was apparent the monkey at columbus bending blades was not paying attention cause the right blade has some serious attitude to the right. I've decided in the interest of time to fix it when I get home by brazing new blades in the current crown. One thing I'd like to say about frame building is how hard it is. One might see a richard sachs or pacenti lugset and see how well they are finished in the raw, but there is sooooo much work that goes into making each piece into a frame. Nothing goes together right without planning, skill and a little good voodoo. Several times tonight I remitered a joint just to get 1/4 of one degree more angle for the tube. The clock just hit 1 am and I'm logging off. I miss my wife and kids, we have been on a death march and I haven't been able to hear much from home. I have a wonderful wife that has encouraged me to do this. I look forward to repaying the consideration when I home. I appoligize if I have rambled or misspelled I'm tired and don't have much energy to spell check. Leave comments at the bottom and tell me if you'd like me to give any observations about any part of my experience. JG

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jonathan,
Nice work! good to hear you're getting solid instruction from a master.
I'm going through a similar learning phase:
http://howtobuildabike.blogspot.com/
-nick

12:07 PM  
Blogger e-RICHIE said...

it's simple -
but not easy.

8:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home