Saturday, April 08, 2006

8 days to go

Last week Doug Fattic and I finalized the details of the bike I'm going to build.

To start with, I'm using 26" wheels. When measuring my current bikes it is apparent that there is no way to get enough clearance for wide tires and fenders if I use 700c. The tire selection of 650c and availability of 650b also makes those choices less desirable.

With Doug's advice I'm going to use Henry James lugs. Well be using 74 degree headlugs. We'll be slanting the lugs back creating a sloping top tube and 72 degree head angle. The lugs will be connected with Columbus SL tubes. I'll also be using Henry James dropouts . One big advantage in the James dropouts for me is the ease of brazing the plug style drops and also they are made of stainless. I'll polish the faces. Paint chipping on the DO faces is a pet peeve of mine. I'll be choosing between a James forkcrown and Sachs fork crown when I get to Dougs. Whichever has more room between the fork legs for a fender is the one I'll use. We like pal Richie Sachs here so we'd like to use his stuff.

Which brings up why we are using Hank James lugs( Hank has been helpful too)......I think(as does Doug) that a standard size tubeset is better for my first frame. I'm currently 155lbs and to use an oversize tubeset with the wall thickness that a rookie should use would be building a tank. This bike will also not be the only bike I build so there is no rush to build perfection(like I could anyway). Oversize thin wall tubing will come later.

The other small details of the frame will be Canti bosses for Paul centerpull brakes, bosses for honjo fenders, and bosses for nitto racks front and rear. I'm still toying with the idea of using a dyno hub. I'd braze on light mounts to the rack if I go that route.

JG

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home